Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I'm THAT crazy Chicken lady.

It occurred to me one day, while standing in the bread aisle of Walmart, when my cell phone blasted at full volume the repetitive rooster crow that I have set as my ringtone, that I am the crazy chicken lady that my friends and I used to giggle about.



You know the lady I'm talking about.  She's the one that has the t-shirts with the funny sayings, like, "I've got OCD: Obsessive chicken disorder."  She may, or may not, have a bumper sticker proudly declaring that the wheeled people mover is transporting a crazy chicken lady, who likes chillin' with her peeps.  There's a good chance that her kitchen is decked out with feathered fowl parephenalia, including but not limited to salt and pepper shakers, wall paper, cookie jars, egg stand, pictures of her favorite hens on the fridge, dishware and crockery, and custom painted kitchen aid stand mixer...


She is also likely to buy cheese on sale, with a coupon, during the 10 for 10 dollar weekends, but will not bat an eye at the $42.99 price tag of a 50 pound bag of Nature's Best Organic Layer Mash.  While she's at it, she'll add a $7.99 chicken toy, a Flock Block for $15.21 and a bag of meal worms for $26.49.   Sorry little Timmy, those braces will have to wait until next month.

And, naturally, standard living room decor will accommodate 3 incubators and a brooder, scattered on all of the end tables and coffee table for a period of not less than 3 months, using the justification that they've got a greater chance of surviving than those 100 tomato seeds you planted 3 months too soon.   

My husband insists that it has ruined his movie-watching.  I'll admit, it does sort of mess with the mood.  Meg Ryan's epic performance in the restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally just didn't have the same effect with the peeping in the background.  My apologies, Mr. Reiner.


And, when people ask how things are going, before I talk about the kids, they will hear about the chickens.  Poor Princess is egg bound, so she's getting warm baths every day, and Henrietta may be turning broody, so we are pretty excited about that.  Rooster Cogburn is having an attitude problem with Roosco P Coltrane, and I just don't know how to get those boys to get along.  

So, yes.  Yes, I have become that crazy chicken lady.  It's not without it's perks.  Naturally, I justify my fixation like any other addict.  There are eggs, and meat, and chicks, and the wonderful experiences my son has.  After all, guess what!?


CHICKEN BUTT!

1 comment: